You may answer, “We talk to each other every day.” But is your communication limited to who is picking up the kids or taking out the trash? Creating intentional time to communicate with your spouse takes effort, planning and commitment. It is important that couples have a periodic date night. This can be as simple as taking a weekly walk together or sitting down with each other at the end of the day. Or you could plan date nights that include doing something fun together. During this time together, ask your spouse how their day or week went and just listen to what they say. Don’t try to fix anything, you just want to understand how they are doing.
Here are five questions that may help jump start your conversation:
- How did you feel loved this past week?
- What does your upcoming week look like?
- How would you feel most loved & encouraged in the days ahead?
- How would you best feel pursued in sex/intimacy this week?
- How can I pray for you this week?
Remember, intentional time together doesn’t happen by accident. Put it on your calendar and make it a “date!”